Grinder (Helper)June 27, 2022
Drives a tractor-trailer combination or a truck with a capacity of at least 26,000 GVW, to transport and deliver steel products in tie-down or packaged form.
- Follow appropriate safety procedures for transporting dangerous goods
- Conducts pre-trip and post trip inspection of truck and trailer for each load, according to DOT rules
- Check vehicles to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order
- Maintain logs of working hours and of vehicle service and repair status, following applicable state and federal regulations
- Obtain receipts or signatures for delivered goods and collect payment for services when required
- Check all load-related documentation to ensure that it is complete and accurate
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew and checking that vehicle and loading equipment are properly positioned
- Drive trucks with capacities greater than 3 tons, including tractor-trailer combinations, to transport and deliver products, or other materials
- Secure cargo for transport, using blocks, chain, binders, or covers
- Read bills of lading to determine assignment details
- Report vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the vehicles
- May be required to assist customer in unloading product at customerâs site following proper safety guidelines (follow your locations instructions)
- When not driving, performs other related duties as assigned or requested
- Basic reading and writing comprehension in English (to read technical repair manuals for a wide variety of machines, safety and policies manuals)
- Basic measuring and arithmetic skills (read tape measure to 1/16 of an inch and check parts for correct dimensions)
- Requires valid Commercial Driverâs License (CDL-Class A)
- Must have current DOT approved medical evaluation
- Minimum of one (1) year over-the-road experience
- Must have knowledge of rigging and truck hauling procedures
- Related experience and/or training in a steel processing service warehouse is preferred
- Forklift and overhead crane certification
- Customer Relations: interacts professionally with customers and associates. Always neat in appearance (wearing company uniform) and promptly responds to requests with accuracy and courtesy
- Communication: must be active listener, follow directions, recognize the value of othersâ opinions, talk with courtesy and respect, speak effectively regarding business manners
- Time Management: ability to meet job deadlines; prioritize work orders effectively
- Team player: works as a competent member of the team, willingly providing back-up support for co-workers when needed and actively supporting group goals
- Attendance & Punctuality: must demonstrate timely arrival and attendance; adapt to business needs schedule changes
- Judgment: exhibits sound judgment and makes reasonable decisions within scope of responsibility
Quality Program Requirements:
Employee will receive quality orientation training upon hiring. For ISO-certified locations, employee attends annual ISO job-specific site training conducted by the ISO-9001 ISO Administrator.
In a typical workday, employee drives scheduled delivery with multiple stops or long distances. Employee will be required to sit (and operate truck for extended periods of time), see, hear, grasp, reach, climb (in and out of truck, up and on and off trailer â several times daily), climb (up on trailer up to 4 ft. height from ground) handle and throw chains and tie-downs (throwing them over the load to other side of trailer) balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, stand, walk, push, pull, and lift.
Employee will be exposed to some or all of the following working conditions: Inside (truck cab), outside, extreme heat and cold, noise, vibration, oils and atmospheric conditions such as dust, fumes and metallic particles.Â Employee will be exposed to the hazards of working with heavy machinery. Employee is required to wear a hard hat, safety glasses, gloves and safety boots. The Company furnishes initial hard hat, gloves and safety glasses.Â The employee furnishes safety boots at own expense.